Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. Where can I apply for the AMIS Master programme?
You can apply on the FSA website.

2. Where can I see the detailed programme curriculum and courses description?
You can find those details here.

3. I have a Bachelor’s Degree, but it’s not on the list of required degrees. Can I still apply?
Yes. We do accept other BA at this stage, but please note that students with an academic background in the main fields related to AMIS (Material science, physics, chemistry) will be favoured during the selection process. Please consult the Admission criteria page for more information.

4. I am on the last year of my Bachelor Degree. Can I apply even if I’m not going to have the Diploma for the application deadline?
Yes. A “Conditional Admission” will be issued to students who have not completed the Bachelor Degree yet. In that case, the deadline to submit the Diploma will be postponed to a later date.

5. As the program will be hold in different countries, should I have to get different Language certificates for applying?
No. You only need an English certificate. Please consult the Language requirement page for more information.

6. Can I choose the destination for the second year of Master?
During the application process on FSA, you will be asked about your favourite M2 destination, and the willing will be always to respect students’ decision. Despite this, if the amount of students choosing one or another destination is heavily unbalanced, some adjustments might be done.

7. I am having problems to submit my application online or to log in the application website. What shall I do?
Please e-mail the AMIS programme coordinator who will get back to you as soon as possible:

8. Does the programme provide financial support to students?
Yes, the EIT provides a Travel and Subsistance allowance of 4500€ to cover mandatory components of the programme (summer schools, exchanges, internships etc.) and an Added value student activities grant (ASVA grant) to cover travel, subsistence and living costs for students. Please consult the EIT AVSA grant page for more information.

9. Are the AVSA grants compatible with other scholarships or types of revenue?
In line with EU Financial Regulation, Article 129 (principle of non-cumulative award) double funding is strictly prohibited. Therefore, students who already receive an EU-funded scholarship (i.e. Erasmus Mundus or other) are not entittled to the AVSA grant.
If a student receives a national grant or a grant from another source (as long as it is not EU-funded) and these grants permit additional scholarships to be awarded, students can be awarded an AVSA grant (depending on national rules).

10. Will the M1 internship be paid?
It depends where you do your internship:
– In France, you will be paid a minimum amount of 520€ per month.
– In Finland and Germany, there is no general rule that internships are remunerated, although it is quite common that a modest salary, enough to cover the students’ living costs, is paid. You will need to negotiate this with your employer.

11. How much should I budget for my 1st year in Europe for living cost?
Depending on the country where you go, you should budget between 700€ and 1000€ a month.

12. My FSA application has been successful, what are the next steps?
A couple of weeks after the final applications’ deadline, you will be contacted by e-mail by one of the institution of the AMIS consortium to schedule an interview (telephone or Skype call). Based on your performance, the jury will decide whether you can join the Master or not, if so you will receive a general letter of admission to the programme within one week after your interview.
When you accept the offer, your hosting university will send you instructions by e-mail on how to complete the registration process online, apply for an accommodation and for language classes (if applicable). You will have the choice to live in a public student resident or to get a private accommodation. Please note that the process might be slightly different depending on the institution where you apply.

13. Do I have to pay any administration fee at the pre-enrolment procedure?
No. You will need to pay the administration fees at your arrival at the university.

14. What is the deadline for the payment of the participation fees?
The administration fees have to be paid at your arrival at the university.

The programme fees have to be paid before December. The payment can be made in three different times (October, November and a final payment in December).

15. When do M1 classes start?
Each institution has a different official starting date for classes:
G INP: week starting 4th September
Aalto: orientation week begins early August, classes begin the week starting 11th September
TUD: week starting 1st October

16. What do I need to bring before arriving to Europe?
If you are an international student, here is a list of documents will need to bring with you:
• ID card/passport.
• Health record/vaccination certificate (if available).
• Original of your birth certificate with filiation.
• Letter of acceptance from the concerned educational institution (original if available).
• A driver’s license if you want to use a car in Europe.
• Socket adapter, depending on the standard in your country.

For EU citizens:
• A European health insurance card (EHIC) valid for the whole duration of your stay in Europe.